This makes all the work worthwhile...to be able to create freely with the sheets of stitchpaper you've been making. These are super simple rectangular cutouts. Normally I back them with felt, but I tried something different since one of our swap partners used lutradur on her backs. I picked up some inexpensive interfacing--tried to find the stiffest that was not too thick. I dyed sheets of it with alcohol inks.
My method was to soak the interfacing in alcohol, then crumple it up and drip with alcohol inks and rub it together in a ball to distribute the ink. I used a few colors and crumpled until I was satisfied. Then I rinsed them to get the alcohol out, sprinkled them with a little bit of Schminke gold powder and dried them , then ironed them. I added a little spray starch to the final ironing. They came out beautifully. I stitched them to the backs of the bookmarks. I didn't take photos of the backing, but may make some more because they were so gorgeous. I cut it into strips for the top of the bookmarks as well. I stitched the word "read" on the front, then I added a paper bead for fun!
I'll give one of them away. Leave a comment here and I'll draw a winner on 1/30/10 and mail you a stitchpaper bookmark (if you're already in the Yahoo book study bookmark swap, you automatically get one, so feel free to comment but opt out of the drawing). I'll announce it here and on Twitter and email you if there is a link.