12/19/11

Unhinged Sketchbook


For the Sketchbook Challenge December theme, I reveled in my rusty bits and did a couple of pages. Go HERE if you'd like to see a little more of the step-by-step creation of these pages.

I was reading A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley (delightful!), and came upon some really lovely description of rust:

"Everything seemed to be coated with rust. Even the child's red hair added to the impression that we had strayed into a strange, decaying land where oxidation was king.

Oxidation, I never tire of reminding myself, is what happens when oxygen attacks. It was nibbling away at my own skin at this very moment...

But when oxidation nibbles more slowly--more delicately, like a tortoise--at the world around us, without a flame, we call it rust and we sometimes scarcely notice as it goes about its business consuming everything from hairpins to whole civilizations."

Here are some of my rusted hinges. An endlessly fascinating subject.




2 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Great paintings and fab colour. I thought rusty stuff would be perfect for making men's birthday cards and was busy rusting all sorts of bits and pieces only to be told "We men spend all our lives trying to get rid of rust....we don't want it on our birthday cards!" Bother!!! Have a fabby year in 2012. Moira x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this "rust" post. I still have a couple of sheets of rusted fabric on butcher paper that I was thinking about putting through the printer, but haven't done so yet. I almost enjoying just looking at them, but they are screaming for something. I just don't know what.

    ReplyDelete